Caldey Abbey © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
A Celtic monastery was established on the island way back in the 6th century and in the 12th century it became a Benedictine community right up until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536.
In 1906 an Anglican Benedictine community led by Dom Alfred Carlyle arrived on the island and built the current abbey. However, this community left the island in 1925 due to financial difficulties; then in 1926 a group of Cistercian monks from Belgium settled on the island and still occupy the abbey today.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -